Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Where I Live Now ...

This is my house that I live in now...


Isn't it charming? :::grin::::  I bought it in May 2009 and moved in in June.  I.  Love.  It.  It is in a conservation district, and it was built in 1929.  It's 1,148 square feet, and a 2 bedroom, 1 bath.  By most standards, small.  By Dallas standards, certainly small.  Oddly, I really only live in about a third of it, if that.  I always envisioned converting the huge attic into additional living space - just because I could - but I realize now that I don't need that extra space.

And although I love it, it's time to go.  I guess I had to buy a house, and start renovating it, and start filling it with things (Hello -  American way!) to realize that it really isn't for me.  I mean, I do love having a cozy space with room for guests.... 

And you can't really see the porch in the photo - the shrubs hide it, but it's the most amazing space!  I have furniture out there now, but with or without furniture it's always been "the" gathering place for friends and neighbors.  Lots of laughing, and coffee, and wine.  The porch is probably the thing that I will miss the most - because I've forged so many new friendships and strengthened so many old friendships out there.  But as my dear friend Kelly pointed out to me, "BA, you have had a sacred space every where that you have lived.  Even in apartments.  You will create another one, where ever you are."  I appreciated her pointing that out - and looking back I see that it is true.  I can already see me with my feet up on the little porch on my tiny house!  It's fun to think about where that will be, and who will be sitting there with me...



I also really love having space that I own, as opposed to a rental.  I can paint, and renovate, and plant, and nobody can tell me that I can't do those things.  I do love a good project!   And I was never one to do or not do things because whomever lived there after me might not like them.  I planned to live in this house until I died - literally - and so I really poured my heart and soul into it and really made it mine.  And I totally Feng Shui'd the whole place!  LOL  Everyone who comes over tells me that it has such a "good" feeling - so comfortable, so balanced, so calm....

Ultimately it turns out I just really love a good project.  Indoors, outdoors, my project, someone else's project,  it doesn't matter.  I like the dreaming, the brain storming, the creating, the start, the problem solving, the working with my hands, and the finish. And all of the things I love about my house now, I can also make happen in my tiny house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love feedback.