Sunday, July 28, 2013

Garage Sale Success!

My friends' garage sale on Saturday was a success.  Aside from all the stuff we sold, the weather was phenomenal!  I don't know how we scored a morning high of 80 with a breeze but it was spectacular!

Friday was prep day.  I got off work around 1 and went to my apartment to prep things. 

Liz asked if we could go get tables from a nearby neighbor... here Liz is in my front seat - isn't she adorable in my Texas Rangers hat?

We got the tables from a neighbor's side yard.  They were sooooo long!  We were just laughing!  But we had to have them - we had to make it work.  And then there was a gecko on one of them - we tried to catch him but he was so fast -- and skittered down into my car, never to be seen again... I hope he got out - we left the top down and a door open for a while...

Then I called two friends with pick up trucks and we did two trips with furniture and a few other large random things. After that we settled in at their house and we priced everything.  Wow - it was a ton of stuff!  It went fast, though, and it was so fun to have time to sit and chat with Liz and get caught up.  And her husband shared a couple of beers with me...

I stayed up far to late after I got home - keyed up - and when my alarm went off at 5:30 it was painful.

I swung by Liz's, we threw the yard signs in the back of the car and hit the road (in the dark) to go put up all the sale signs.  We got home, threw all the stuff out on tables in the front yard and opened the doors:

We had a lot of help, gratefully - friends and family.  By 11 a.m. we were ready to call it.  I was fortunate and sold all of my big items:  my bed frame, my set of couches, (I sold my couches to the cutest couple!!) a big mirror from over my mantle, and an overstuffed upholstered chair.  I was pleased to get all of those sold - but another item of extreme satisfaction?  My ironing board and iron!  Ahhh, liberation.

When I got home, I rearranged all my plastic tubs of shop gear and camping gear, and the other miscellaneous tubs out of the bedroom and into the living room, into the newly claimed space.  I emptied corners that hadn't been touched since I moved in, and cleaned my apartment from top to bottom.  It feels GOOD.

I was nervous the week before the sale.  Sort of unsettled.  One morning I woke up really early and couldn't sleep.  I texted Nina, "I am irrationally anxious about selling my couches and bed."  I knew I could count on her - she replied back that while she "got it" - couches and beds are the foundations of our homes - they are what make them comfortable --  I needed to "bootstrap it and get the stuff out" that this is what it was going to take to launch our new lives.  It was just what I needed to hear.  She followed up with a note that we are in this together, even though I am in Dallas and she is in California.  And that we are making this happen.  She's right:  we ARE.

My mattress and box springs are on the floor now.  My living room consists of my area rug, my footlocker that doubles as a computer desk, and my television.  You know... the essentials.  lol

I still have more to go to fit into 112 square feet, but I'm honestly getting there - it's pretty amazing!  I'm super excited.  I.  feel.  free.


  1. Oh BA, you are moving right along!! Congratulations! I admire you so much! Wendy

  2. If this was a post on facebook, I'd probably try to LIKE it twice <3


Thanks for commenting! I love feedback.