Sunday, February 24, 2013

Career Design Associates

As you may know, in February of 2012 I signed up as a client with Career Design Associates in Garland, Texas, just east of where I live.  Helen Harkness runs the most amazing skills workshop.  A group of 7 other women and I (it just happened that we were all women; it isn't always the case) meet on Saturdays for many months, identifying our skills, talents and passions to transition to new careers.

Yesterday CDA hosted a small group in a follow up meeting and I was asked to give a short presentation on what I am doing.  I wasn't really looking forward to it, but I admire and respect Dr. Harkness so much that I couldn't say no to her.  I brought a few photos, and my company's vision and mission statement, and told my story.

I was so surprised at how much I enjoyed the experience! Two of the attendees were women from my skills group, and then there were three from other groups, and then two new folks who are planning to join forces and work with Dr. Harkness.

If you have any desire at all to make a career change but aren't sure what you want to do, I highly recommend her program.  I learned so much about myself and what makes me happy!  The link to CDA is here: http://career-design.com/

Normally I am not hugely excited about public speaking, but I guess when I am really passionate about a topic that changes....

I also received an offer from the AV guy who was there to videotape the event - he wants to do a short video segment of me for me to put on my (soon to be developed) web site (or blog.)  That was a great connection, and an offer that I will accept.   Of course, I hadn't realized that we were going to be videotaped, so I let my hair air dry on a dog walk, and hadn't put on any make up, but heyyyy I guess what you see is what you get in that segment! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love feedback.